the morning after


on January 16, 2003

Well it’s the afternoon after the first morning after first night that Max was in his home and I’m not feeling too bad (famous last words!) Vic and I had a terrible nights sleep and Max didn’t really fare much better. The poor wee chap would leave it no more than half an hour before he’d start crying so we’d lie there for a few minutes waiting to see if he’d stop and then take turns on getting up if he didn’t.

When I got up I’d check his nappy and change it if needed it (all normal stuff coming out now!) and then wander around for a bit to see if that would help. Unfortunately he would usually only quiet down if he had a nipple in his mouth (and we all know how that works wink) so Vic would usually have to get up and start feeding him. The funny/annoying thing is that he’d feed for about two minutes and then fall asleep the little bugger! At six this morning during the one time that Vic was feeding him in our bed I had an idea though. I took off my t-shirt and lay him on my chest so that we had some skin to skin contact and so that he could hear my heart. This really seemed to work as he and Vic both slept for the next three hours smile The feelings of tenderness and love for him really kicked in during this time and I felt amazingly lucky and privileged to have such a perfect little son. The last few days have also unlocked a different level in my love for Vic as well and seeing her as a mother just makes me want to hug her all the time, which can be annoying when she’s trying to do stuff! lol!

We really seem to have bonded as a family and that’s pretty damn cool (I’m getting way too soppy, must be overtired) I got up at 09:00 and put Max in his moses basket and he slept for an extra hour while I caught a few z’s as well.

The community midwife paid us the first visit this morning as well and she gave Max the all clear except for a touch of jaundice so that’s another check out of the way.

I hope everyone’s OK – sorry to all my blogging friends for the lack of comments but I’m sure you understand that things are a bit hectic at the moment. I’m just about finding time to visit but not to comment 🙁

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

One Response to “the morning after”

  1. Gina says:

    Goodness Marc! Don’t apologize. Be with your family and love every moment .. It’s a wonderful thing, huh?  Hang in there, you’ll get into a routine and Max will too and then it will be smooth sailing smile